white coe 96

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion white coe 96

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephen23240
    Participant

I’m using Spectrum 96 white glass and having no luck with getting rid of the devit! I’ve reduced the upper temp to the point where I’m just getting little more than a tack fuse and cleaned the surface very thoroughly. The amount of devit was less than previous attempts but still apparent. I’d quite like to be able to have a better fuse but this means a higher temp and more devit! Anyone else have this problem with the white glass?

wordana
    Participant

I’ve not had a problem with white, but I have had problems with the slightly off-white (almond?) colored System 96. I try to use it capped with clear if I can.

If you are using any kind of paper for a glass separator, I would try kiln wash. Note however, that kiln wash will be more likely to stick to the back of opaque glass, and I have particularly had problems in this regard with white.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

gizzmogirl
    Participant

Check out the system 96 knowledge base page- they have a few suggestions for devit at the bottom of the page:
    http://system96.com/Pages/KnowledegBase1.html

I have personally never had a devit problem with white.

TheGlassHole
    Participant

Whenever I want to put something together that I’m confident will not devit, especially with multiple firings, I go to Spectrum 96.  I use White, Khaki and Almond and have had no devit issues.  I generally fire on Thinfire and keep the kiln vented to 1100.  I will somethimes use Super Spray if I’m working with pieces that I have cut with the tile saw.  I am a cleaning fanatic, first using soap and water (Dawn), then Isopropyl Alcohol followed by Spartan glass cleaner.  I use an oil free cutter if I cut after I clean.  You might also want to make sure you have System 96, and not just a Spectrum white meant for stained glass work.  That will devit every time.  Tim

Stephen23240
    Participant

Thank you very much for all your replies, I think I have now solved the problem. My kiln controller gives time per segment and temperature to be attained at the end of the segment (it’s an Italian kiln!). The more conventional glass kiln controllers give a rate of temp increase, a target temp and a hold time. Coupled with the fact that my European kiln working in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit has led me to drift somewhat from the ideal schedules as it is difficult to immediately compare them. The nice lady at Spectrum Glass sent me some new schedules which I have translated for my kiln and for the first time in ages I have fired a piece of System 96 white glass without devit!

Again, many thanks for all your thoughts and comments, they have all been read with interest.

Steve

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx