Which type of kiln to purchase

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Which type of kiln to purchase

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CrazyMosaicLady
    Participant

I already have a small circular kiln with a 12″ diameter shelf. I am looking to purchase a larger kiln to do larger projects. I debating between just a larger  top loading kiln with a larger shelf or getting the refrigerator style with a 22 ” shelf. Insight into the advantages or disadvantages of each would be so helpful. I would like to experiment with hot combing which is why I looked into the refrigerator style.I already have a 220 line in my garage.

wordana
    Participant

Clamshells are easier to load than top loading, and if you want to do glass manipulation (combing, for instance), they are a bit safer because you are not reaching down into the kiln.

(FWIW, I have 4 kilns and none are clamshells. But if I had it to do over, my “medium” kiln would be a clamshell)

2 cents

Dana  W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

What Dana said. For general purpose fusing you cannot beat a clamshell. The only thing that are not good for us dimensional casting. Invest in mercury relays.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx