Wet Tile Cutters?

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Wet Tile Cutters?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    FlameKilnGlass
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    I have been reading all the topics with great enthusiasm and the free tuts, and have seen that glass can be cut using a electric ceramic tile cutter.

I have been looking to buy an electric wet Diamond tile cutter and was wondering if this would work with cutting the thin sheets of glass of 2 – 3mm (I/16 to 1/8th inch thick, as I am hopeless at cutting them using a manual cutter including the Toyo cutters including pistol grip types? I have spent too much money on these hand helds, so think an electric cutter could be best for me (slightly disabled).

I have looked at band saws for glass like the Taurus 3 but they are far too expensive.

Any info greatly appreciated.

FKG

wordana
    Participant

Your best bet is to practice cutting glass :). (http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-ideas/improve-your-cutting.htmlIf you have limited strength and mobility in your hands, you might want to look at one of the glass cutting systems such as a Beetle Bits or Cutter’s Mate. Both reportedly require much less pressure and result in a better score. There’s also the Inland Score 1, but I haven’t heard anything about it.

There are also glass breaking aids such as the Morton Safety Break.

As to your original question :)… you’ll need to make sure you get a very good diamond blade from somewhere like Hisglassworks.com, or you’ll have a lot of chipping of the glass. I would think that diamond blades would become very expensive over time if that is what you are doing all your cutting with. Plus, you are limited to straight cuts with a tile saw — at least with the ring saw you can do curves (but those blades are also very expensive to use for every cut).

Good luck.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

CC
    Participant

I have the cuttersmate, I love it.It is very easy on the hands. I also have the beetle bit system for straight cut. I use it for making strips, diamond and triangle shapes.

FlameKilnGlass
    Participant

I have after reading both replys decided not to buy the wet tile cutter.

Instead, I have 1 hour ago arrived back home from the DIY store with a basic tile cutter station which will cut straight and do angles all for £18.00 ($11), and the cutting wheel is easily and cheaply replaced.

I have tried it out – and wow perfect straight cuts and I can even do really narrow strip cuts 1/4 inch!

This will do for me at the moment, but I would really like to thank you both for your advice, you both have saved me some money ;+) I have looked at the cuttersmate and it looks really good, but I think I will in go for something like the Taurus 3 band saw or similar (I will have to save up for it).

Thanks again,
    FKG

wordana
    Participant

I’m glad you found the information helpful. Good luck with your glass journey!

Dana

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx