wet saw problem

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion wet saw problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lorin
    Participant

Hi there. I have a small wet saw with a 7″ blade. I researched the  blades very very carefully and bought a blade that all review said was the best for glass work. All the reviews said it was the cleanest cut. It sure cost enough. Anyway I took some classes on cold work and know the basics of using the saw. I know not to push it, to take my time, to keep enough water, that inclusions can cause chipping. And there is my problem. No matter how slow I go, no matter what I do, every single cut chips at the end. This includes plain glass with no inclusions. I went thinner and it didn’t help. Is this just the nature of a 7″ blade? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mully
    Participant

Cut into the end before you start your cut and this way it will chip out as it leaves the saw.  About 1/2 inch is good and when you make your cut there might be a little glass left where it splits at the end but that us an easy grind off.

Stephen Richard
    Participant

You can place another piece of glass behind the piece you are cutting, just as is done in carpentry, as this makes sure there is even pressure on the glass as it exits the saw blade.

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

Vital-Spark
    Participant

I have the MK wet saw with the best blade for glass but still had the problem At a class with Bullseye they had the same saw but they put a plastic top to the table. So I thought ‘bounce’ with just putting the glass directly on the table was the cause & expermented with various table tops. Everything from foam board (Pretty good but gets soggy) so bought this white rigid pvc sheet half inch thick & it works best but the slot in your table material needs to be cut with the saw so its an exact fit. You also need to fix it to the sliding table pretty good. Yes a sacrificial piece of glass under works good too but you sure waste a lot of glass.

Vital-Spark
    Participant

I have the MK wet saw with the best blade for glass but still had the problem At a class with Bullseye they had the same saw but they put a plastic top to the table. So I thought ‘bounce’ with just putting the glass directly on the table was the cause & expermented with various table tops. Everything from foam board (Pretty good but gets soggy) so bought this white rigid pvc sheet half inch thick & it works best but the slot in your table material needs to be cut with the saw so its an exact fit. You also need to fix it to the sliding table pretty good. Yes a sacrificial piece of glass under works good too but you sure waste a lot of glass.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx