Welding Metal

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Welding Metal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    glassy
    Participant

I have always wanted to incorporate metal in with my “finished” work of fused glass (I am not referring to doing “inclusions”.). However, I have no clue on how to get started with doing basic welding.

My idea is to use rather thin (1/4 inch) sheets of scrap metal, cut them out in to various sized shapes, solder or weld them together, and then adhere or tie on fused glass forms so as to create garden statues and stakes.

What materials must I have? Will I need to buy a plasma cutter, torch, welding gloves and so forth? Are all of these items required for what I intend to accomplish? I know how to use many different types of power tools, so I don’t think I will have too much difficulty with cutting and tack soldering metal… unless it involves a lot of expertise. I am sure there are some easy to follow instructional books available on the market, but I have not found any of them. I have no welding instructor in my area in which to contact either. Therefore, I am seeking advice from those of you who work with cutting and soldering metal.

Thanks for your suggestions, 

glassy 

TerryC
    Participant

Check out your local community college or adult education for welding courses.  Just bought a welder but really haven’t used it.  Also have the “welding for dummies” book which I am at this time.

Terry Curtis

martharife
    Participant

I’d be interested in learning about soldering.  Looks simple enough…but I don’t know anything about it.

M

Caribou Glass
    Participant

Soldering of 1/4″ materials is not going to work. You are going to have to get yourself some equipment if you are going to attempt some metal working to incorperate into your glass art. I am a welder by trade and have been so for 35 years and although welding and cutting seems second nature to me there is definately a skill level needed to do quality welding and cutting. If you want to get into the techincal aspect I would be glad to give you some insight. Please shoot me a private message with any questions you may have. Good Luck.

Larry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx