Wall Pocket help

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Wall Pocket help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I haven’t made a wall pocket before and wondered if anyone had any helpful hints, tips and possibly a suggested firing schedule?

Thank you!

thomas decker
    Participant

Petra Kaiser’s book FUSE IT has a project for a wall vase with instructions and fusing tips   you might find usefull .   it’s one of the first books that I bought when I started  fusing and refer to it often

pgcrawley
    Participant

pgcrawley:   The trick is to be sure and ramp the kiln up slowly(about 200 degrees F) when fusing.   It will cause stress fractures if you don’t, especially around the jump rings.  There is a lot of trial and error with this.  Good luck!

I think I have that book….I’ll have to check it out. I did find some additional information in Brenda Griffith’s book…A Beginner’s Guide to Kiln-Formed Glass.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for that information. I will make sure to use it when I make a pocket! :o) 

When you make wall pockets, the top glass that forms over shape that makes the pocket, do you use a single layer or double?

pgcrawley
    Participant

pgcrawley      First of all, the Petra Kaiser and Brenda Griffith books you have are great books.  I still use mine for reference and inspiration when I have an artistic block.    When I do my wall pockets, I always use two layers of glass on the top.  It may not be necessary, but I think it gives a little more glass to spread around and fall, just be sure to make it large enough.  Also, if you can, fire it on fiber board.  This seems to help during the ramp time.  As I said earlier, ramp slowly and also soak for longer periods of time when you are ramping up and down.  Again, good luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Make sure to cool very slowly – especially on larger wall pockets.  The fiber board/paper used to hold open the pocket creates a thermal blanket so that the top and border cool much more quickly than the back.  Over about 8 x 10 inches these get very tough to cool without breaking.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

pgcrawley
    Participant

pgcrawley  Thanks, Paul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx