Trouble drawing lines with CMC and powder frit

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Trouble drawing lines with CMC and powder frit

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sc19881
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I have been looking at this site for some time and really appreciate all the info and help this community gives.

My Fusing Problem:

I have attempted to use the CMC + glass powder (Richard Lalonde method) to draw on glass and have run into a problem with the outcome. Please look at the two pictures below. You can see that the black lines seem to have pulled away from the center of the line.

What I did:

a) 2 pieces of 96 COE clear glass

b) Mixed up some CMC and added glass powder (for the square image I added an extra layer where I thought it was too thin. For the round image i added more powder to the mix. Each one was dried with a hair-drier before firing)

c) Used a “Bubble Squeeze” firing

What I think is going on:

In the square image, the dark part by the “3” got a couple of thin layers and came out dark black which is good. (I thought if I added more powder and made it a thicker concentration, it would work) NOT SO!!

Could the bubble squeeze firing be too intense (8 segments) meaning too long at 1465 F (20-30 min). and got movement in all directions and thus got this separation. It looks worse in person than the images. (The part in the black lines that appear white-ish is actually clear)

Looking forward to your insight here.

Sorry, Had trouble posting images from photobucket (take a look in the community gallery!!)

Seth

sc19881
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Take a look in the community gallery for the round and square images I talk about in my first post.

Seth

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx