Taurus 3 Ring saw problem in cutting pattern bars

Home Forums FusedGlass.Org Website Help Suggestions & Feedback Taurus 3 Ring saw problem in cutting pattern bars

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    glassmom3
    Participant

I am having a problem with cutting pattern bars with my taurus 3 ring saw. I bought the T3 ring saw a year ago and only started to use it in the past month. Everything worked fine. However, I am taking a fused glass class at a community center and several of us in my class decided to make pattern bars. The pattern bars are 3/4″ wide, 6 layers thick(regular thickness of glass) and 6″ long. Since my T3 saw is new and I wanted to try using my new equipment with others around for more feedback, I decided to bring the saw to class and let my classmates use the saw so we could learn together how to cut the pattern bars with super slicer and slicing blade. (I am the only one familiar with saw). The blade seemed to do a nice job on 2 of the ladies pattern bars. We used it for 2-21/2 hours. I had trouble with blade slipping off at the end of the evening, so I went home watched the DVD several more times and replaced 2 orange grommets. One of the grommets looked worn and one didn’t,but replaced it anyway. Then last Wed. I brought it in to class and another girl used the saw for her pattern bar(same size). I noticed the cutting went slowly for her, but she got her pieces cut in 2 1/2 hours. Then I went home with my pattern bar to cut and having been having problems with cutting slices, I have sliced 4 slices and the saw seems to now take over an hour to cut one slice. Right now I am 3/4ths of the way through the slice and that took an hour! I called the company and it seems that my pattern bars are too thick for the saw.(6 times too thick)  What I don’t get is that they even make a slicer blade for this saw, my new slicer blade has only lasted 10 hours! Of all the web sites we have on fusing glass and all the glass suppliers selling this equipments and magazines how come everyone is advertising these saws  as saws that cut pattern bars! The Taurus 3 is fabulous on cutting thinner pieces of glass but no should get the idea that it is good with pattern bars. What a waste of money for super slicer and slicer blade for this function. I spent a $100 and didn’t even get my pattern bar sliced!

Karen T.

PS: No one was rough with the saw either!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The key to using ANY diamond blade tool is to 1) use lots of water and 2) NOT apply any forward pressure against the blade.  Failure to to either will kill the blade.  This is equally true on a little ring saw and a big diamond tile saw.

That said, I’m not a big fan of use ring saws for pattern bars.  I think it’s the wrong tool – regardless of how they are marketed. 

– Paul

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

glassmom3
    Participant

Paul you are right, the saw should not be used for pattern bar. T3 ring saw is a great tool, so  I believed them when they advertised the tool with the super slicer and a thick pattern bar. Then after  I spent the money on slicer blade and super slicer and it was worn out after 10 hours of use, they tell me the saw was not made for this. Also, I did keep the water level up to line and didn’t use any pressure.

What do you recommend for slicing the  pattern bars? Some of those tile saws screech and leave marks on the slice. Gemini recommends Revolution and it is close to $1000. I’m just a hobbyist and was trying pattern bars as something new to do. Thanks Paul. 

Karen

PS I thought I had done the research on Taurus 3.

Anonymous
    Inactive

For small pattern bars you can pick up a small tile saw at Home Depor for $100 or less. You’ll get wet but it works. A bigger tile saw is your best bet if you can afford one.

glassmom3
    Participant

Thanks for the advice on getting a tile saw. Also, I emailed Gemini saw and they are sending me a replacement blade. However, no more cutting pattern bars with this saw.

Karen

LauraJo
    Participant

This past summer I purchased a tile saw from Home Depot for $88.  It worked just ok – had to go very slowly to reduce chipping and I sure did get soggy and messy.  My slabs were only about 5/8″ thick.  I was not happy with the amount of and degree of chipping that I got on my glass with the tile saw no matter how slowly I moved the glass.  Would a different type of blade work better on that?

The tile saw was considered because my T3 didn’t work very well on the 5/8″ slabs.  It cut too slowly.  I ended up putting too much pressure on the blade and stretched out the belt which caused the blade to continually come off during use.  Not good.

I just got a Gemini Titan XT which is supposed to work with thicker slabs.  I used it for the first time this morning and I’m on the fence about it.  The slabs I cut were about 5/8″ or 3/4″.  On the favorable side, the Titan XT cuts quite nicely with limited chipping – the glass was smooth after sawing.  The blade is much more heavy-duty vs the T3.  There is a slide top (much like the tile saw from Home Depot) which I like alot.  It helped me keep the glass straighter for cutting, etc.  On the down side, I got quite wet and full of glass chips and there was water all over the place – dripping on the floor, etc.  I don’t like the water system – it is closed and requires the removal of 4 screws to access it and refill.  Also, there really isn’t any place for the water to go to during use – the blade carries it up to the cutting surface, then it flows/sprays down the front and ends up all over the front of me, my table and onto the floor.   

No perfect and affordable solution just yet.

glassmom3
    Participant

Thanks for sharing the information on the Titan saw. I don’t much about saws, but I wouldn’t like all that water splashing about, along with the problems you expressed with the opening and closing of the water system. Gemini recommended the Revolution XT saw, but that is close to a $1000. I am interested in what other saws people recommend and is the Revolution saw worth it? 

Thanks for letting me know about how the belt stretched out with too much pressure on when using the T3. That is important to know. 

glassmom3
    Participant

Thank you.

Karen

sunspot
    Participant

I have to agree on the assessment of the Titan. I’ve had mine for 3 years and have only used it a few times. It is very messy and changing water and blades is inconvenient and a lot of work. The other problem I had, when I removed the guide to cut shapes, the blades slipped off the rubber guide and cut the bar holding it on. They replaced it for me, but I haven’t used it since. Mainly because I need to find a place for it outside.

Cindy R.

caco
    Participant

have been reluctant to use my T3 for this as well, thanks for saving me time!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx