tack fusing schedule

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion tack fusing schedule

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pat Donaldson
    Participant

I have some freeze and fuse items I want to tack fuse to a 1/4" blank plate.  I plan to ramp at 500dph to 1000 and give it all time to catch up for 15 min (although the freeze and fuse are only 1"x3/4"thick) and then 200 dph to 1350 hold for 1 min, AFAP to 960, and hold for 2 hours.  Then drop 100 dph to 500.  Does this sound like a recipe for disaster?  I know the Bullseye technotes say 6 hours for slab, but this isn’t a slab.  Any comments?  I hate to lose BE glass!

Pat

pat@aslowfuse.com

Siyeh
    Participant

My six year-old likes to use silicone ice cube molds to make freeze and fuse hearts (about 1" X 3/4") out of BE opal and transparent powders. I have fused/tacked/slumped them to an 1/8" blank in a single firing with no problems using the following schedule based on the Pyros Studio schedule (http://people2.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/pkimball/pyros/Information/index.html). You may need to adjust for your own kiln. :

300 degrees/hour to 1270, hold 20 minutes
    AFAP to 960, hold 3 hours
    50 degrees/hour to 700
    OFF

I have also fused them (600 degrees/hour to 1300, hold 30 minutes) and then tacked them to a slumping base plate in a separate firing with about the same results. If you fuse first, you will probably want to ramp more slowly on the secnd firing than you would if you do all the steps at once.

Good luck!

Brenda Griffith

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

–Mary Oliver, The Summer Day

katkramer
    Participant

I have a tendency to ramp up too fast…

I see that your project is a single thickness of glass, but it’s 1/4"  Personally, I would slow it down.  I used to ramp everything about 400-500° per hour, but had a lot of problems with large bubbles, but never thermoshock.

I’m not a lot more conservative in my firings (thanks to Karen and Paul!) and have had much better success. 

I haven’t done freeze and fuse, but I would probably go a little more conservative on your ramp up.

Good luck, and post a picture when you’re done!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx