So I have many questions

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion So I have many questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BettyAnn
    Participant

I just bought a kiln not so long ago and am very excited to use it.  I’ve been doing mosaic glass for years so have some questions to see what can happen.  First off, I have some dedicated 90 coe glass but so much more 96 coe that I’ve used for mosaics.  I know I’ m not supposed to mix them but what if I did ??  Would it just crack the glass or cause it not to meld together or would it damage my beautiful kiln that I just bought .. also considering doing some slumping .. have seen wine bottles done but what about a patron bottle .. I have no clue of the coe .. my biggest concern is that I don’t hurt my kiln .. if my experiment fails otherwise, I’m cool with it … can anyone help ???

Vernelle
    Participant

If you mix the 90 with the 96 it will crack.  It may crack while in the kiln or a week later.  Its like oil and water……won’t stay together.

You would slump the bottles separately.

Nothing you suggested will hurt your kiln.

Try reading Paul’s tutorials.  Or go to   http://www.warmglass.com and read their tutorials as a starting point.

wordana
    Participant

Kiln-wash the bottom of your kiln and fire away. There is not much you can do to hurt it.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

amylpotter
    Participant

I do not recomend trying to melt or slump a Patron bottle.  I have looked at many examples where others have tried and it just turns into a huge glob of glass.  Such a waste of a beautiful bottle.  I have seen a tutorial on YouTube on how to cut the bottle and make a bird feeder.  Very clever.  Hope that helps!

Dr. C
    Participant

I agree that a short stubby bottle like Patron will end up amorphic but won’t hurt to put in a slumping mold and see what happens 1375-1400F is a good peak range. you can usually fuse bottles from the same manufacturer to themselves. Also, some beer bottle glass from different brands is compatable but it is ultimately trial and error. Since the COE of bottle glass is higher than art glass so fusion temperatures need to be higher 1550-1600F. Again, trial and error. Hope this helps.

Dr. C

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx