Setting up Paragon Kiln

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Setting up Paragon Kiln

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    imaglassydiva
    Participant

So I have a used Paragon kiln and I need to get it up higher than on the kiln stand it came with. The stand is about 18 inches high but it is difficult for me to program it and to load it.

I would like to place it on an old lateral two drawer filing cabinet that I have which is just shy of 30″ tall.

I intend to keep NOTHING in the cabinet, simply use it as a tabletop.

Will the fact that the cabinet is painted have any effect on this setup? Would putting an oversized ceramic tile between the cabinet and the kiln be OK and is it needed? And finally, the kiln stand has an open bottom. So, will it be an issue that it is no longer going to be an open bottom under the kiln.

If these are issues, I can always buy the taller stand from Paragon. Just hoping to use that I already have.

Rachel

imaglassydiva
    Participant

The current stand is only  about 8 inches tall, not 18. 18″ is the height of the new stand that I could get from Paragon if my idea on the filing cabinet does not pan out.

Rachel

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Rachel,

Do not set the flat bottom of the kiln on the cabinet – you need to put it on some bricks or something so that the air can circulate underneath.  That, of course, assumes the cabinet can support the weight…

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

imaglassydiva
    Participant

I was thinking of using firebricks (from Ace Hardware) underneath it to circulate the air. Or, could I just use some regular bricks (assume the weight is not an issue)? I will try that and if not, then I will order the taller stand from Paragon. I can use it now, it’s just difficult to load and program being that low to the ground. Thank you Paul.

Rachel

catbrac
    Participant

I would find a handy man who could weld some longer “feet” onto the existing paragon stand you have.

imaglassydiva
    Participant

Welding on longer legs….Another good idea! Thank you!

Rachel  

josthings
    Participant

My jen ken kiln came with legs made from angle iron available from about any hardware store.

My husband had built me a kiln box from cement boards to enclose three sides of the kil, with the added height of this and the legs that came with it it worked out great, as I now have a huge garage I don’t need to worry about the kiln box (loys of space and no car parked there) and as soon as we remember to measure we will go get longer angle iron so that it is a litle higher.

If you use the file cabinet it is going to get hot if you dont use somthing to raise it up.  I have seen someone else use a file cabinet, they filled the bottom drawer with bricks so that it would be solid and not wobble and then she used sidewalk bricks for airflow.

Worked well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx