Seeking Suggestions for Weird Fusing Result

Home Forums FusedGlass.Org Website Help Forum Help Seeking Suggestions for Weird Fusing Result

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Tonya
    Participant

I’m not new to glass fusing, and I’ve had my kiln for 12 years, so I know it quite well. The 2nd project I did from Paul Tarlow’s “Beyond Frit Stretching” e-book, which was nearly the exact same as the first one, resulted in a wonky circle after the first “spread” fuse. It had been relatively thick after the initial fuse (from the stacks), and that was expected. But it did not spread evenly for the spread fuse. I then opted to re-fuse, using the “Add Back” schedule, thinking that would create good flow and even out the circle. Instead, it is WAY wonkier than it was before! Basically it is not even a circle! Picture a one-hump camel (with a couple of baby humps)!

A few things:

1. I haven’t fused anything directly on my shelf for years because I kept getting big bubbles, and using Thinfire completely solved that problem. I also usually fuse on a fusing tile (set with spacers on top of the shelf) for easier transport to the kiln. During the pandemic I had a hard time getting Thinfire, so I purchased some Papyros, which I’m not crazy about, but it has seemed to work OK. (Until now?)

2. I did reduce the number of clear pieces in my stacks down to 5 to accommodate a 6″ SS ring mold. However, the resulting slab was still quite thick, so I think that the 5 per stack was adequate.

3. My kiln registered the schedule increments normally, and I believe it’s heating correctly. But could I be wrong about that? At full fuse temp my peek window was glowing brightly like it always does, so I don’t believe any elements are out. (I LOATHE opening my kiln when it’s cooking!)

4. My 1st project from this e-book turned out quite well, but that “spread” fuse didn’t thin it out much. However, it still retained the circle shape, and no wonkiness transpired.

5. Since I use COE 96 (and I’m familiar with my kiln), I did reduce the target fuse temp from 1525 to 1485, which is still very hot for my kiln to normally fuse fully.

Any suggestions? Is this technique one that really does require fusing directly on the shelf to create better spread? Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx