Repeat Fusing of Glass

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Repeat Fusing of Glass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Starship
    Participant

I need some advice/information.  I fused a large two layer piece for a plate that I was going to slump into a wavy dish mold.  The piece fused bueatifully on the initial contour fuse.  When I did the slump I must have heated it too fast and it broke in the innitial ramp phase.  I stoped the kiln immediately and was able to fit the peices back together perfectly when it cooled.  I re-fused it and see if it would blend back together in an effort to salvage the piece.  It didn’t quite disguise all the cracks, but came close.  My question is, How many times can a peice of glass be fused successfully?  I’d like fire it a third time to take it up to full fuse and see if that does the trick and then try slumping it again extra slow this time. 

Are there any adverse effects to fusing a piece several times?

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

Anonymous
    Inactive
    katherine
    Participant

COE 90 and 96 states 3 full fuses. I have found 2 full fuses are safe the 3rd one becomes iffy. You can tack, slump and drape to your heart’s content. You will never get a perfect piece after a break or crack and really risk its stability with another full fuse.

Starship
    Participant

It is COE90 Bullseye.  In th innitial fusing it was a layer of thin with a layer of standard.  In the second fusing I reinforced the whole piece with another layer of thin clear. 

Nancy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx