Removing a haze

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Removing a haze

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    deborickj
    Participant

I’m in the process of making a fused glass dog using a stand-up mold.  After the final firing, the glass was shiny. Alas, the figure stuck to the mold!  I found a suggestion on-line as to how to get it to release which involved turning the mold upside down and supporting it slightly off the kiln shelf, than ramping at 150 degrees/hour with the expectation that the glass would separate from the mold somewhere between 500 & 600 degrees.  I placed a piece of thick fiber paper under the glass to prevent damage to it when it fell out.  The first try didn’t work, so I did it again taking it to 650 degrees.  That time, it worked like a charm!  The mold and the figure are both intact (but separate!).  However, there is a light haze on the glass.  My first thought was devit, but the glass was shiny when I began the separation firings, and I thought 650 was too low a temp for devit. I wonder if it might be something from the fiber paper which was white when I started but is now tan. Mostly, I wonder how to remove it. Help?  

deborickj
    Participant
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx