Question about Kiln Liner Fusing Release Paper

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Question about Kiln Liner Fusing Release Paper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    EclecticTreasures
    Participant

I bought a pack of Kiln Liner Fusing Release Paper and used it for the first time yesterday. I have been using the Thinfire paper with good results, but thought I’d try something different. The manufacturer – Techniglass – says in the marketing materials that this paper does not turn to dust, so I thought it was worth a try.

After the firing was complete on a load of jewelry, I opened the kiln and saw that some of the paper had turned into a “fibrous” cottony-type material and several pieces had blown over to the top of some of my jewelry pieces. This was not at the corners of the paper as one might expect and the pieces that were affected were not in the corners. The paper must have been sitting on the glass for at least a while, since the glass is dull and rough in the spots where the paper landed. As I unloaded the pieces, the paper came up with the pieces in masses of fibers, but then what was left was a layer of dust that was much finer (and there was much more of it) than what I get when I use the Thinfire paper.

Has anyone else had experience with this shelf paper? Is this a common occurrence?

Is there anything I can do to “fix” the jewelry pieces that were affected? Luckily I was doing a load of “blanks” for future pieces, so not a really big deal. Can I fire-polish them to get the rough parts shiny again?

Thanks for any help!

Barb

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sandblasting and fire polishing should fix the problem.

I’ve never used the stuff – I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say since it sounds lie the paper is doing exactly what they claimed it would not do.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

I don’t have any sandblasting equipment. Is there an alternative to sandblasting? Will fire polishing alone take care of it?

Thanks for the help!

A few years ago I bought some of this paper, used one sheet and got rid of the rest. It was awful, it was like dealing with a mouse nest after firing. I didn’t have the problem you did with it affecting my glass, thankfully.

I strictly stay with Bullseye ThinFire now.

I wonder if Armour Etch would work since you don’t have a sandblaster?

Stephen Richard
    Participant

You can use wet and dry sandpaper to remove the deposit and then fire.

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

That’s a great description of what the paper was like after firing!! Problem is I have 4 20×20 sheets of it… I’ll probably try it one more time and weigh down the sides with thin strips of scrap glass to see if that helps – but if it blows over the tops of the pieces again, I’ll cut my losses and pitch it. Either way, I’ll never buy it again. I’ll stick with the Thin Fire…

Thanks!

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

Wet-dry sandpaper – I have that!

Thanks for the tip!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx