Problem in my little microwave kiln with dichroic glass

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Problem in my little microwave kiln with dichroic glass

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MonicaE521
    Participant

I’ve been looking for answers for several days and internet searches just bring me to supply sites, so I searched for blogs.  Hi!

I have some pretty dichroic glass that I’d like to make into pendants.  I’m just doing this as a hobby, so I don’t have a lot of money to spend.  I have a Fuseworks microwave kiln and it works very well most of the time.  However, a couple of times my glass (ripple, pink/purple/blue) fuses with ugly gray lines in it instead of the color.  I try to make sure I have 6mm thickness starting out so it won’t stretch out too far, but that doesn’t fix it.  I managed to do a little piece, maybe half inch square, but when I tried to make a larger one for my friend, it got ugly.  Really ugly.

Has anyone seen this?  I have no clue if I can upload a picture of the ugliness, but I can try.  Thanks!

chanticleerjewelry
    Participant

I have a fuseworks microwave kiln, and have experienced ugly grey lines in my work before as well.  My microwave is low wattage, so I usually don’t have trouble, but heating too fast/long/more than once, will cause the color to fade out of your dichroic.  Another cause can be grinding edges and not cleaning them enough before heating your glass.

I think there was one other, but right now it’s not coming to me. Maybe someone else can help

Valarie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx