Polishing problem

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Polishing problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Totorean
    Participant

Hi,

I am beginner with glass and encountered a problem. Please help me with some advice if you can…

I did a round pendant (diameter 30mm) of dichroic glass. Initially I brushed round shaped clear glass layer that goes on top. I superimposed dichroic glass and I burned it in the oven.

Finally after the burning, all around on the pendant there is a thin opaque streak from the polished edge of the clear glass.

My question to you is:  what should I do not have this stripes from polishing the shape.

I tried a subsequent polishing with cerium oxide and felt, but I could not remove the streaks.

Mention that if the clear glass is in square format – no subsequent polishing, pendants turn out very well. But I want to make pendants of various shapes, and that means to sand the edges but then I have that streak after burning.

Many thanks…

wordana
    Participant

It sounds as if you are experiencing devitrification from the ground edges.  This can usually be resolved by scrubbing the edges thoroughly before firing.

Dana W

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Did you use any shelf paper under your pendant?  If so, you could be seeing the haze that is common when firing ground edges over any fiber product.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

katkramer
    Participant

https://fusedglass.org/node/822

Complete discussion on how to fix it!

Let us know if that works!
    : )
    Kat Kramer

Totorean
    Participant

Thanks you all for answers.

I will do test, after your advice.

I’ll tell you if I solve the problem.

Many thanks.    :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx