Observation hole Plugged?

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Observation hole Plugged?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tready
    Participant

Hi everyone. Have already learned so much as a newbie combing over questions/answers on this forum. Thanks for all your comments!

I did my first bottle slump and my glass kiln seemed to take forever to get to the high temp of 1430. I have just purchased this used Olympic kiln and there was not a peep-hole plug with it. Do I need to plug the observation-hole (it’s cone-shaped) at the start of the firing or when I get to a certain temp to retain the heat to ramp faster?  One bottle on a flat slump did pretty well, the other in a mold was dull and seemed to devit.

Also, I used the body firing setting and think from reading comments here that I should have used the top lid for firing?

TheMacdonald
    Participant

From everything I’ve read (much) and in my experience (somewhat limited) the hole does not need to be plugged. Only a minimal amount of heat will escape through the hole.

Likely you can order a plug from Olympic. I have two kilns, and don’t use the plugs in either.

TAM

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s correct. At fusing temperatures, air expands considerably resulting in a very thin atmosphere in the kiln. The lack of air means there isn’t anything to carry a lot of heat through the hole.  The glass, on the other hand, is  heated by radiant heat (line of site from the coils) so the absence of a lot of air isn’t an issue.

If you want to plug the hole, some scrap fiber blanket or paper will do the trick.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx