newbie to site and glass slumping

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion newbie to site and glass slumping

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kraftykat157
    Participant

I live in very rural ND. nearest stained glass shop 200 miles away and thedon’t fuse or slump. bought abook. Beginner project draping over floral form. so far so go good, usin 3 pieces of glass  and this firing schedule I have a pargaon Kilm that fires glass ect:

R1 400 L1 1265  H1 20 min

R2 AFAP L2  960   H2 60 min

R3  150  L3 700    H3 off

I;m not sure what afap need to be the lowest temp? Time ? the book doesn’yt explaine and the controll doesn’t really help either.  thanks for the help… I’m teaching my self as I go and am keep logs

I fired once & it broke

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi – and welcome to the world of glass fusing.

AFAP means “as fast as possible.”  With most current controllers, you enter “9999” as the speed.

Your initial ramp of 400 degrees an hour is very fast heating for a three layer project – and probably the reason it broke.  You can learn more on this site here:

https://fusedglass.org/learn/technical_tutorials/avoiding_thermal_shock

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

slaneclark
    Participant

Hi Krafty and welcome to the addiction.  I’m new, too – been taking a glass class at our local rec center for about a year, but it’s really a “teach yourself” kind of a class more than anything else.  This site is incredible and the willingness of its creators to share their experience is marvelous.  Good luck to you and don’t get discouraged.  If a person’s never broken glass, then they’ve never fired it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx