newbie slumping bottles, having a devit challenge

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion newbie slumping bottles, having a devit challenge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    artfireglass
    Participant

I’ve just found this site and forum.

I’m getting to know my new kiln (Skutt GM1014) by slumping bottles to begin with. Having lots of fun and pleased with some good results, but am wanting to solve problem of devit issues on dark colored glass. Tried a borax solution (1tsp/cup) and sprayed on with a mister, let dry for an hour but ended up with splotchy results. Is there a way to spread it evenly on glass? It tends to puddle up and run off. Liquid does not want to stick evenly on glass when using a brush either.

Here is my last firing schedule: Seg 1/ 500 degrees per hour/ to 1100 degrees/ hold 30 min., seg2/350/1250/15; seg3/900/1390/5; seg4/afap,flash vent/1120/60; seg 5/250/800/20

Don’t want to flatten the bottles as much as a partial collapse, ending up with some nice serving trays which hold dips or snacks. So I watch the slumping often through my peep hole at the 1390 temp.

Hope someone can help out…or send me to a forum link that is more active than this one (not too much activity here).

Thanks!

Stephen Richard
    Participant

You can try adding a drop or two of washing up liquid.  This will help break the surfaace tension of the borax.  You should know that bottle glass devitrifies very easily.  Either try to incorporate the devit into the design, put the borax on after the fuse, sandblast are some of the suggestions I would make.  (Other than don’t do it  :-)   )

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

artfireglass
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen. Had not heard about the dish liquid. I will share the results once I can get the kiln fired up.

Wayne

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx