Newbie Question: Can I glue my pieces together at home for studio kilning?

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Newbie Question: Can I glue my pieces together at home for studio kilning?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  djjohnese 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

antoniodominion
    Participant

Hello y’all!
    🙂

I am very new to glass fusing and am going to take a class this month. However, in the meantime, I am wondering if you could help me by answering a question?

I don’t have enough money to set up a studio with a kiln or 2, so I was thinking that I would use one of the local glass companies to do my kiln work. However, I was wondering how possible this is? For example, can I simply glue my art glass project together at home, and then take it to them and give them the kiln program?

The reason that I am wondering is about the glue. I have seen one person in a video say that you can use toothpick sized dots of Elmer’s white school glue to adhere the glass pieces to each other. The other person I saw use glue said it was super glue and it would not affect the finished piece. Lastly, I read a book that recommended Elmer’s PVC glue.

Can I really glue my project together and have it kilned elsewhere?

Thanks for your kindest consideration of my question!

Best regards,

~Antonio

djjohnese
    Participant

Hi Antonio,

Good question! I have used many different types of glue to hold pieces in place for one reason or another. Elmer’s white glue works fine. As does transparent tape, or E 6000 glue or clear silicone adhesive. While super glue will work, it can release corrosive vapors which can harm the kiln or anyone near the kiln as it is being fired.

Another glue is liquid hair spray. As with all glues the question is what kind of strength is needed to hold the piece together in transient from the point of origin to the kiln. Elmer’s is probably your best bet, but if you have small pieces that don’t have far to go and with little vibration, then hair spay would probably be okay also.

Hope this help —
    DJJohnese

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx