Needing information about using wine bottles for fusing projects

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Needing information about using wine bottles for fusing projects

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    glassy
    Participant

Does anybody know of an instructional book that focuses specifically on fusing with wine bottles? I would like to experiment with this type of glass, but I am a bit leery for fear I might tear up my kiln if I just start sticking any old wine bottle in it. I need a book that has in depth details (ex.: glass colors that work best, firing schedules, safety issues, trial experiments and projects). I have found a little bit of information through the web, but it only touches the tip of the iceberg.

Thanks for your assistance,

glassy

Stephen Richard
    Participant

Sometimes you just have to jump in and find out.  Use the general principles of fusing and adapt them to the bottles.  Normally bottle glass behaves in a similar way to float glass – very stiff, very prone to devitrification.

Your concern about damage to your kiln from using the bottles is misplaced as long as the bottles are clean and dry.  There are several discussion lists where bottle slumping has been talked about.  If you do an internet search I am sure you will come across them.

Experimentation is about knowing the principles of what you want to do and apply them to the specific materials.  glass is coloured with a few minerals, none of which are dangerous to you or your kiln.

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

Shylaann42
    Participant

I have flattened every kind of  bottle you can find in my Skutt, using the basic fusing principles.  I clean the glass well and usually soak them in the sink in hot water and soap overnight.  Then remove the labels, sometimes saving the labels for later use on craft projects or reapply to bottle using decopodge (?sp) paste.  I use the firing schedule that I use for 2 or more layers of glass.  They do have a tendency to devit but you can sandblast a design into this.  My instructors have always been game to try anything I came up with so I am not afraid to experiment.  That is where you get some of the neatest items.  Good luck

CydneyF
    Participant

I bought an e-book online, can’t remember the name but you could google it.  However, I did not learn anything I did not already know by experimenting with various bottles and using a firing schedule I got out of an article in Stained Glass News and then adjusted it to my kiln.  I have fired wine bottles, beer bottles, liquor bottles and even canning jars with great results.  People really like them; I often joke that my goal as a glass artist was not to slump and sell bottles, but the recycling aspect is great and if it makes people happy, why not.  I run some loads of them around other projects.  Don’t mix bottles or add glass or other decorations during firing since the COE won’t be compatible.  Here is the firing schedule I use in my Evenheat GTS 2541-13, large oval kiln:

700 dph to 1100 hold 10 min

900 dph to 1465 hold 15 min

9999 dph (as fast as possible) to 1050 hold 20 min

150 dph to 850 hold 60 min (anneal)

300 dph to 120 hold 0 min

turn off and allow to cool to touch

I haven’t had any bottles crack and not much devit with this schedule.  You may need to adjust to your kiln; if the bottles don’t slump flat enough increase second ramp to 1500.

I hope this helps.  Good luck with it!

Cydney

wordana
    Participant

Though you can’t add glass or mix glass colors (since the COE will be different) you can decorate the bottles with Glassline paints or dichro slide. And yes, people do like the slumped bottles :)

Dana W.

CydneyF
    Participant

You are absolutely right, Dana.  I was just thinking of glass inclusions.  Glassline paints and dichro slide would decorate the bottles nicely.  I have sandblasted designs on the bottles to decorate them and that works well also.

Cydney

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx