Needing details on creating casting molds out of Hydroperm, etc..

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Needing details on creating casting molds out of Hydroperm, etc..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    glassy
    Participant

I purchased a package of Hydroperm in order to create my own casting molds. Have any of you worked with this product? I am wondering if I can create a wax model and cast around it. However, one article I read stated you can not use wax with this product. ? Is this true? If this is so, can any of you suggest a type of modeling clay that can be easily removed from a cured Hydroperm mold? From what I have read (There is hardly any literature to be found regarding this product! ). Hydroperm sets up quite quickly. It also remains somewhat soft. If wax can be used, how might I remove it from the Hydroperm if I have no melting machine? Is doing the lost wax casting method dangerous?

Any suggestions of what type of low firing clay I should purchase for creating slumping molds? I have a Paragon Fusion7. I believe its maximum temperature is 1800 degrees fahrenheit. From what I have read low firing clays must be fired a bit higher than 1800 degrees fahrenheit in order to completely harden. I would love a clay mold that will withstand several slumpings.

Can any of you suggest an excellent instructional book (ranging in its skill levels) about both mold-making and pate de verre techniques? I prefer one that is not full of scientific jargon nor expensive.  Thanks!

confound
    Participant

You can make a clay slumping mold.  Just fire the clay as high as you can or at least 1500.  This will be higher than your slumping temp.  The clay wont be as hard as it could become at a high temp. firing but it should last you a while.  Just try not to bang it around on things.

Confound

rgilbert
    Participant

I haven’t used Hydroperm, but you can create a wax impression and use the lost wax method with it. Or you can use an alginate to make the positive, pour the Hydroperm around it and let it set up. Alginates shrink and remain fairly soft so you can remove it easily enough.

I’d Google “lost wax casting” for some insights into the process. There are also some books at your library; you might have to look under sculpture or jewelry making processes. If you’re in the US you might try local colleges or art centers for some insights.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx