Mold overhang?

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Mold overhang?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ecelberger42
    Participant

Hidey ho,

I am new to fusing and attempting to slump a small plate.  The mold is approximately 6″ x 9.5″ with shallow steep sides about 3/4″ deep.  Short ends are straight, the long sides are wavy, and they meet at square corners.  The sides look to be at a 60 deg angle from the bottom.

How much should the glass overhang the edge of the mold, if any, for slumping?

I plan to fuse two sheets together with a little frit for decoration.  Will the pattern grow during the fusing process?  If so what should the starting size of the glass be (relative to the mold dimensions?  Same size?  A little bigger?  A little smaller?

Many thanks in advance.

Scott

Ecelberger42
    Participant

I stopped at a local glass shop for more supplies and they answered my question.

Their advice:  Cut the glass to the outside edge of the mold – no overhang.  The center will drop first then make its way to the edge pulling the sides down into the mold.  I’ll just have to try one and see how it works.

Scott

Anonymous
    Inactive

For most projects you can hang over by as much as the glass is thick.

To understand why this holds true, try bending the last quarter inch of a quarter inch thick piece of wire.

Paul

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx