microwave kiln

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion microwave kiln

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    emilyclare
    Participant

Hi ive recently bought a microwave kiln and am loving it. But im getting very fustrated with vairious things which I will probably keep asking people about along the way but for the moment the most annoying thing is when fusing the glass obviously shrinks but it drags the bullseye thin fire paper with it And gets stuck on the corners. Now I know it turns to powder and can be brushed off but it seems to leave a bumpy imprint and sometimes the dust even sticks in the glass. I cant brush it off before the glass cools to stop it imprinting so im not sure how to stop this from happening because my pieces are coming out beautifully if a bit amature but I feel I cant give them as gifts or sell them when there’s powder embedded in the corners and rough bits. I also dont think its devitrification. Any help with this would be grately appreciated as well as any other tips for using microwave kilns.

Many thanks

Emily

Jeanice
    Participant

Sounds like maybe your Thinfire paper is curling.  Try cutting the paper to just 1/4-1/2 inch bigger than the glass.  Papyros doesn’t seem to curl.

Or, maybe you aren’t using 2 layers of 3mm glass?  Only one layer will pull in, dragging the paper with it.  2 layers will stay right there but round out the edges.  3+ layers will spread out.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx