microwave kiln question

Home Forums FusedGlass.Org Website Help Forum Help microwave kiln question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dinosauarwoman
    Participant

I am very very new to fused glass.  I took a class in a retirement village (i am a snowbird) and fell in love with making jewelry.  i have alot of 96 COE glass on hand here, but am now back at my home and won’t be back to my class i AZ until next fall.  I have been reading about microwave kilns and it appears to me that they all require 90 COE glass.  Is there a low priced kiln out there that I can use my 96 glass?  I don’t want to spend alot of money on this kiln as I realize that they can be very pricey!….I just would like to continue to make a few things for pure enjoyment and gift giving.    Another question:  how many layers of glass can be baked in a microwave kiln?  the info I have read seems to say TWO layers max.  The jewelry I made were two and three layers of glass.  Also can anyone tell me how large of a piece I can bake in the microwave kiln?  I hope these questions are not too stupid….I read the info about these kilns and they all give the measurements.  That is fine, but I could not find info about the actual size of piece I can bake in it.  Kissany info about the microwave kilns is greatly appreciated!

Stephen Richard
    Participant

You can use any glass in a microwave kiln.  Some (fusing compatible) glasses will work better than others.  The number of layers is not so important as the area.  The closer you get to the maximum size of the shelf, the more problems you will have with annealing.  There is no real reason why you could not put a small 5-layer piece in and have it come out successfully, if you give sufficient space around it for the expansion that will result.

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

glassiquegirl
    Participant

I have a first generation microwave kiln from way back and the actual fusing surface is only 3″.  I tired of it quickly because it was a lot of time and work for one piece of glass.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx