lumps or bumps in system 96

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion lumps or bumps in system 96

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    precev
    Participant

I have been using system 96 and the glass comes out looking kind of like there are little bumps on the surface.  Does anyone else have this problem, and what can I do?  Thanks, pam

Vernelle
    Participant

We need a little more information. What is your firing schedule, how high are you taking it? Sounds like air bubbles to me.

Vernelle

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with Vernelle – it sounds like small bubbles trapped between layers of glass.

You would think that the super smooth machine rolled surface on System 96 glass would eliminate bubbles but I think it actually can make it more difficult for the inevitable air between layers to escape.  When I use Bullseye Tekta – which is machine rolled and has one textured side and one smooth side I make a point to never fuse smooth-to-smooth for this reason.

Did you have a bubble squeeze in your schedule? 

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

precev
    Participant

I’m starting out at 250 per hr to 500, then 500per hr to 1250, hold for 20 minutes, then full up to 1450 to fuse, then anneal,  should I hold on the way down somewhere also and for how long.  Thanks, Pam

Anonymous
    Inactive

Try going 100 degrees/hour from 1050 to 1250 and holding at 1250 for 1 hour. 

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx