Looking for help with Fine Silver inclusions

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Looking for help with Fine Silver inclusions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve tried fusing different wire types into my pendants with mixed results.  I’ve used hi-temp wire and get fire-scale – does anyone know how to remove that?

And I’ve fused in fine silver wire but have gotten heat/burn marks on some glass that is permanent.  Sometimes even a neighboring piece that doesn’t have any inclusions will get darkened areas. 

Any advice as to what type of wire(s) can be used that will remain attractive once fired?     Thanks!

Kay T
    Participant

LauraJo,  I’m not sure, because I haven’t done that much fusing.  But with the Hi-Temp wire I think you can scrub it off with a wire brush or maybe some fine steel wool.  Also, from what I’ve read, silver will stain some glass and also leave a "residue" on your shelf and then will stain or leave marks on other glass that’s fired on that same shelf.

I don’t know for sure what wire will stay nice when fired.  They may all have to be cleaned somewhat after firing.  Sorry I can’t help you more.

Kay T.

Mary
    Participant

I’ve tried several different types of wire and none of them gave me the clean/no troubles type of result that I was after.

High fire darkened, didn’t really spall too much but I could never get it shiny again.

Copper spalls like the dickens but it can be cleaned up by an overnight "coke soak" and steel wool.  It seems to lose it’s temper a bit and is softer but you can work harden it sometimes, just don’t pound the glass! ;) 

Fine silver will turn whitish in the kiln, but it can be shined up very nice by tumbling and polishing.  The worst part of using that is the silver stain I’d get on the glass, usually a yellow to amber stain that, imo, looks bad. 

I’ve used stainless steel wire sent to me by a friend after reading that it was compatible, but I got cracking where the wire met the glass so I can’t recommend that very well.  It didn’t stay "clean" either.  :( 

It’d be wonderful if they could come up with either a wire that cleans up easy or one that is compatible w/the glass that just stayed shiny during the firing process. 

Good luck!  If you find one that works, I’d love to hear about it!

petra kaiser
    Participant

Hi Mary,

I love using fine silver. If you have my book ‘Fuse It’, you will find some tricks and tips in there. The silver can react with some glass. After all some glass colors are coming from different metal additives.  Enclosing silver between layers of black, crystal clear and transparent blues and greens seem to work very well. Opalescent glass, reds, yellows and oranges seem to react. If I’m using any of those colors for a base, I cover the silver with a piece of dichroic on black.

Where ever the silver touches the shelf I place a small piece of fiber paper (1/16" thick) under the silver and make sure that you don’t place the other glass to close to the silver

Don’t give up the fine silver – it makes the piece a real jewel.

petra kaiser

Mary
    Participant

Hi Petra,

I’ll definately check into getting your book.  I’ve got lots of fine silver that I’d love to use w/my glass work.  Oh boy…more cc debt! ;) LOL 

bookie13
    Participant

Totally agree with cousin Petra (no we are not related).

I use a lot of fine silver. I try to limit contact to clear to Bullseye 1401 clear. That is less prone to yellowing. No problems when embedding the silver for a loop for a bail hook.

I use it also for Faux-cloisonne, but that again is only on 1401.

Keep using the fine silver. note that using sterling changes everything, so stick to fine.

Barry Kaiser

http://www.kaiserglass.com

sherrieb
    Participant

I think that Argentium silver may not leave those types of marks, but I haven’t tried it.  Anyone else?

SherrieB

glassy
    Participant

Once I used the 0.999 fine silver as an inclusion in a glass pendant. I wrapped several strands together near the top in order to form a hook and sandwiched the rest of it in between the cap and base layers of the glass. It turned out horrible! The silver ended up an ugly gold, and the hook was super flimsy. If I were to have given the hook a slight twist all of its’ wires would have broken. It was a very expensive experiment that left me darn right frustrated! Personally, I love working with copper. It sometimes looks very red (depending on the color of the glass it sets up against) which is okay by me. It stays quite sturdy when fired to create a wire hook. The exposed wire may need a fine sanding to bring back the shine of the copper. My most favorite type of copper to use as an inclusion is “copper foil tape”. This product is made for doing stained glass work. The various color changes once fused are fabulous! I love the blue color it becomes when fused with opague glass colors such as white, peach and pastel pink. It can’t be used as a hook, of course!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx