Looking for blog/article on fusing iridirid

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Looking for blog/article on fusing iridirid

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    WackyPup
    Participant

Hi all!

Maybe I’m just getting old, (okay there is no maybe), however I recall seeing an article online somewhere a few years ago about putting two pieces of iridescent face to face and damming it or doing something to allow the resulting flow to create very interesting patterns. I know there is an article on this board about sandblasting two pieces to make a pattern, but that’s not what I’m talking about. This was a technique that created very organic movement in the glass that was restrained by damming I think. If anyone knows what I’m talking about or maybe I dreamed it LOL anyway, a link or information would be greatly appreciated.  (I also asked this on the warm glass site)

Liz

Anonymous
    Inactive
    WackyPup
    Participant

Thanks, but that is specifically what I said I was NOT looking for. But thank you for your suggestion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry about that.  I guess that’s what happens when I read posts past my bedtime.

There is a technique where you place a piece of iridized glass on top of a stack of pieces and full fuse. The iridized coating can’t stretch so it crackles. Take a look at the last work on this page for an example: http://www.malinacipleu.com/fused-glass-bowls-and-trays.html

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

WackyPup
    Participant

Thanks for your answer Paul .  Sorry to take so long to get back , I’ve fallen behind on my emails again . I don’t think the crackle is what I was looking for either . For some reason I have a memory of seeing a process where they put two pieces of glass facing together that repelled each other and flowed in some really cool ways. To be honest I’m not even sure it was irridized, maybe it was dichroic but I doubt it cuz I don’t have any of that and it was something that I had done by mistake. My problem is that about every 2 to 3 years I drag out my glass fusing stuff and play with it, so I never get good at it. And everything I learned last time I have forgotten. Lol

wordana
    Participant

You can get some interesting patterns putting down a piece of dichro, face up, covering with frit, powders & streamers, and then topping with dichro face down. So basically dichro to dichro, with non-metalized glass in between to act as the “glue” between the pieces. You could experiment with irid with this technique, though I doubt it would be as striking as when using dichro.

Dana W.

Fused Glass Designs

dba Jester’s Baubles

http://jestersbaubles.blogspot.com/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx