Kilns

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Glass Dreams
    Participant

I attempted to do a project using a bit of art modeling clay in my kiln and it started a fire and destroyed the coils.  I have new coils on order, and will install these when available.  Does anyone have any experience on cleaning the kiln bricks with this sort of insult?  I will vacuum them as others have suggested, but as Paul noted in his Big Ten, I am sure that I am not the only person who has attempted an experiment such as this and ended up working to clean my kiln as best as I am able.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Exactly what kind of clay did you use?  Can you post a picture of the inside of your kiln – I’m trying to understand what it is that needs to be cleaned off.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Glass Dreams
    Participant

Dear Paul:

Thanks for offering to try to help. I placed Pria professional grade plastilina in the kiln.  It wasn’t a large amount – it was under a mold due to other issues (obviously an error).  Glass Dreams

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your best bet is probably to burn off the soot by firing the kiln to about 900F and holding it there until the black disappears. You will want to shim the lid about an inch open on one side and make sure the area is exceptionally well vented. Outside would be best.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Glass Dreams
    Participant

Thanks!  I’ll let you know the improvements in the kiln!   Glass Dreams

bobkerr
    Participant

You need to get a MSDS on plastilina.  Looks like some awful stuff.  I think plastilina is oil based so for sure fire it outside.

Glass Dreams
    Participant

I followed Paul’s directions. It didn’t smoke as much as I expected, but it was a good thing we chose outside. The kiln looks pretty good! Glass Dreams

Thank you all for your help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx