Kiln with top and side elements

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Kiln with top and side elements

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kjburkhardt
    Participant

I have a kiln with top and side elements. It’s 14″ square and I can use either the top or side but not both together.  The instructions unhelpfully say “use side element until fusing temperature has been reached” but when I do that and try to switch to the top element it seems to take forever for the top elements to heat up.  If I use the top element only it doesn’t work well for many pieces, and if I use the side elements only it takes longer and doesn’t get as hot.  Does anyone use this kind of kiln and help me interpret the instructions?

Anonymous
    Inactive

What is it that you don’t like about your work when using just the top elements?

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

lkallen
    Participant

Here’s what I found about the Olympic 2 element 240/208 VAC kilns.  Is yours a 120 VAC kiln?

the url is http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/kilns/olympic_glass.htm
    clip start
    Most Olympic glass kilns with electronic controllers now ship with a lid element Mode Switch as a standard feature.  The Mode Switch is an isolation switch that separates the lid element and it’s infinite switch from the electronic controller.

It works like this:
    In the “on” position, the Mode Switch connects the lid element to the electronic controller.  The lid element goes on and off with the side elements under normal electronic control.  The amount of power to the lid element is controlled by the infinite switch setting.
    In the “off” position, the Mode Switch disconnects the lid element from the controller.  The lid element runs independently from the controller at whatever heat setting you select with the infinite switch. 
    clip end

kjburkhardt
    Participant

When I just use the top elements the middle bubbles no matter how long of a soak time I have.  The kiln just seems to get too hot.  If I try to adjust by setting the temperature lower the sides don’t fuse enough.  Small pieces are ok — it’s just anything over 10″ that’s a problem.

Thanks for the help!

Karen

Anonymous
    Inactive

On that kiln you should be able to fire using only the lid.

Three things would help me help you:

1. What is the kiln model
    2. Does the kiln have a controller
    3. What is you firing schedule

Is there any chance the lid/sides switch is operating the opposite of what you think (maybe it is labeled backwards)? Heating just from the sides can cause the bubble problem you describe.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx