kiln wash not sticking to stainless former

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion kiln wash not sticking to stainless former

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    char
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I have a stainless chiara former that kiln wash will not stick to.  Any suggestions?  I think it would be difficult to drape fiber paper over this shape.

Thanks, Char

wordana
    Participant

How are you applying your kiln wash, and do you do anything before application to prep it?

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

char
    Participant

I did not prep the mold.  I guess that is what I need to know.  Thanks for responding! – char

wordana
    Participant

Wash the mold thoroughly. Heat to about 500 degrees in the kiln or over, apply kiln wash. You may need to repeat a few times to get a nice coat of kiln wash. Many people use a spray bottle for the kiln wash, or you can brush it on but brushing is pretty messy.

Dana

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

glassiquegirl
    Participant

I have good results using my primer removal screen to “rough” up the surface of a new SS former as well as using “Glass Separator” primer instead of my normal “Primo Primer”.  I have never had to pre-fire using this method.

Daisy
    Participant

I have been using Boron Nitride spray over a 6.5″ stainless steel mold I bought from Delphi.  I started out with 4 very light sprays waiting 5 min. between coats.  For the second and following uses, I spray once lightly, wait 5 minutes and it goes into the kiln.  I also tried the spray with a small stainless steel cone I bought at Sur La Table. but I’m having more trouble with glass sticking to the sides.  is there a secret to smaller molds not made specifically for fusing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx