kiln temp not up to setting

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion kiln temp not up to setting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #9305
    redheron
    Participant

    Hi, I am trying to get an old kiln to fire properly. I salvaged a glass kiln from the trash…it had been underwater. After replacing the elements, and all of the electronic parts..ie a new rampmaster 3, it is a problem. I set in a firing to 1445 for a conture fuse. It didn ‘t go over 1360 for a tack fuse. Can it be 75 degrees off in the factory setting on the new rampmaster? I called the company and have no definitive solution yet. I put small suqares all over the shelf, identical in nature…2 layers to test for hot or cool spots. The only tack fused. I have ordered some cones to do another firing and see what the real temp is but was wondering if you had ever see this? I was so happy to have a large kiln but very unhappy with the results.  your thoughts? thanks, donna

    #11119
    wordana
    Participant

    Did you replace them thermocouple? Is the TC perhaps in a hot area of the kiln which is not representative of the rest of the  kiln?

    Dana W.

    #11118
    redheron
    Participant

    Yes I did relplace the termocouple. It came with the new rampmaster I put in. It only sticks in 1″. Just inside the unit by the contoller. I will test it all with cones tomorrow to see exactly what the temps are.

    #11120
    redheron
    Participant

    Hi, I am just posting a follow up on my kiln problem..the temps were not what I told the rampmaster to fire to. This kiln had been underwater so had some salt in the brick. This gave off fumes that turned to sulfuric acid and smelled very bad! I fired it near my jewlery and hanging pieces and it coroded the metal fitting! After some research into pottery salt firings I found out how dangerious that was. Glad I didn’t breath any of it. Anyway the salt was causing a short circuit and  some of the current to not go to the elements so the temp was off. An electrician mentioned this possiblity. So I took off the controler and took it outside and washed it out with the hose. After it dried for 2 weeks I hooked it up and fired it all day at 200 to let off steam from the brick. The next day I took it to 500 and the following to a full fuse. No temperature problems and no smell. I was told you couldn’t get the salt out ever. I did have some devit problems but am working on that. One thing at a time. At least the temps are correct now. Thanks for the suggestions you sent me. yours, donna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

Loading...