kiln problem

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion kiln problem

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    spundini
    Participant

Help when I used my kiln I had a “chemical” smell. What do I do?

Hi have an evenheat kiln that I have been using for the past year with no problems. I usually fire on thinfire paper. Recently I used primer on my shelf and fired on that with no problems. The last time I tried to use the kiln I used thin fire paper on my shelf and fired as normal (I was fusing 96 glass with glassline paints – something that I have done many times before). Before it got to 400 C I noticed a really bad “chemical” type smell and when I peeked in the thinfire paper was a dark brown. I shut the kiln off and waited for it to cool down. When it was cool I found the paper a dark brown and the shelf it was sitting on was stained brown too. The paint on the glass had turned ugly gray/brown also.

What happened? What do I do now? Can I use the kiln now?Can I still use the shelf even though it is discolored?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rena

Anonymous
    Inactive

Both the smell and the browning of the shelf paper are normal. By the time the kiln reaches about a thousand degrees Fahrenheit the paper will turn white again. The smell is the organic binders burning off.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

spundini
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply. Why did it happen now? Ive used the kiln many times since buying it a year ago and I never had such a strong smell before.  The only thing that I can think of that was different this time is that I had not used the kiln in a few weeks. Also, what do I do about the kiln shelf that was discolored? can I use it with kiln wash or with thinfire paper?

Rena

wordana
    Participant

I have never seen fiber paper of any kind discolor a kiln shelf. I think you had some sort of chemical on the shelf, the paper, or the glass (oil of some sort?). When fiber paper or Thin Fire burns off, it smells like paper — not chemicals.

All “in my opinion/experience”,

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not sure why you’ve never noticed it before – are you using the same kind of shelf paper?  Are you typically in the same room when the kiln (with shelf paper) is between 300-ish and 900-ish degrees F?

If you haven’t moved any of the glass – go ahead and refire.

The reason for the discoloring on the shelf this time is that you stopped the firing before all the carbon burned away completely. Unless I’m compltely missing something here, the shelf should return to its normal color the next time you get to 1000F.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

spundini
    Participant

I have always used the same paper and the same glass products. Usually I stay in the room and there is usually a slight smell, not like what I had last week. Also, last week the glass that was in the kiln was painted with glassline paints and when I stopped the kiln in the middle and took them out they were grayish brown, any idea why?

Ok. Will try running the kiln again today.

Rena

spundini
    Participant

Thanks for answering my questions. I ran the kiln and it seems to be back to normal.

Rena

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx