HELPPPP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    artdivah
    Participant

Well, I just bought a Duncan “the teacher, model cs 820-2. I am so new at this, I didn’t know that there are different kilns for ceramics and glass. I want to start by doing small things – glass bottle slumping, enameling, ceramic beads, ceramic and glass pieces, fusing, etc. HELPPPPP I am so lost and really dont know where to start to get instructions/information. Thanks Sherie

I might have to put this up for sale, if I cant find any help :(

boxeldercompany
    Participant

When I fuse my pieces one side is rough.  Does anyone know how to polish the other side so both shine?  Thanks for any help.  Kathy

Jolinda
    Participant

Hi Kathy,

All fused glass will have a shiny side on the side that’s “up” in the kiln.  The down side, against the kiln shelf, will pick up the “texture” that it is fired against.  Fiber paper helps a lot in making a smooth bottom, and the kind that is disposable after only one firing (use your respirator – it’s toxic after firing!!) seems to have the smoothest surfact.

Hope that’s helpful,

Jolinda

Windows listen attentively for the sound of broken glass.

barbl123
    Participant

You have about 4 different things going on here – bottle slumping (not small) enameling, ceramic, fusing.  All very different & I would assume different kiln types (I only do fusing). I think you need to figure out WHAT you want to do then take some classes.  GOod luck!  Barbara

Bones
    Participant

I have been using fiber paper and the down side still isn’t smooth. Do you need to polish, re-fire on the other side or what. I am new and have a million questions but this is the one that really has me bugged

Jolinda
    Participant

Hi,

Different fiber papers have different textures and this is probably what you are encountering.  Bullseye makes a paper, called Thin Fire, which is VERY smooth and the only thing is you have to be SURE to wear your mask when you vacume off the used paper after opening your kiln (with a HEPA vacume) as it’s extremely toxic.  But this is true of ANY used fiber paper.

Hope that helps,

Jolinda

Windows listen attentively for the sound of broken glass.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx