Help with Holes

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Help with Holes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    boblesoz
    Participant

I need help.  I have not been fusing all that long.  I have a 14″x14″ Olympic Kiln in which I’ve had great success with flat pieces…. suncatchers and clock faces mostly.  Success until just a couple of weeks ago.  I have been trying to make a clock and with each try I have gotten either a bubble or a hole.  I tried slowing the initial heating ramp up down to 200 degrees from a suggested 400 – didn’t work.  I tried changing the design of the clock face from having a heavy edge design to having elements evenly distributed around – didn’t work.  The only thing I can think of is that a few weeks ago I had a project that dripped over the side of my kiln shelf and a little bit of glass got on the pyrometer – which still appears to be there.  Do you think that could be messing up the temps?  If so, any suggestions for getting this off… or do I just need to replace the equipment?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in any direction.

leslie

caco
    Participant

Hi, have the same Olympic 14 and also got some glass on the pyrometer.  Olympic suggested replacing it, give them a call for the part #.  I got all my glass off though and it’s been behaving ok, so I haven’t replaced it.

Caco

http://www.carasmiths.com

wordana
    Participant

The problem may not be due to the temperature. Check the kiln shelf — if it is warped/has a low spot, that low spot could be a source for trapped air. Flip the kiln shelf over and see if that helps, or fire on fiber paper (which would increase the chances of the air escaping, if the problem is air between the glass and the kiln shelf) —  not Thin Fire or Papyros, fiber paper.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx