help with fusing problem

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion help with fusing problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lorin
    Participant

Help, please! I don’t understand what is going on with the glass. I made a sheet glass / frit piece, put it in a full fuse, cut it up into tiny pieces, ground them to shape and refused on a full fuse. Although they shaped beautifully the grind marks remained on all of them. You cannot feel the grind marks, just see them. This happened before at a glass class and the instructor just shrugged and said it was probably the glass. I use only 90. This is my glass and hers was a different source so clearly it is me. All 40 pairs the I touched with the grinder show the marks. I have no idea where I am screwing up. The larger items are not showing the grind marks. Please please help. Thanks!

wordana
    Participant

Here are multiple suggestions:

Could be that you are not cleaning the edges well enough after grinding. After grinding and before cleaning, put them in a bucket of water to keep the grinder scum from drying on the cabs, and then scrub the edges really well when cleaning.

Also, make sure you are using a fine grinding bit.

If you are firing on “thinfire” try kilnwash. Many people report devit when using ThinFire when using Bullesys glass (oh! the irony! ;)). Personally, I have rarely seen this problem, but I use Sys96.

If you are cutting ThinFire for each cab, but you have a fairly large ThinFire “margin”, the TF can curl up during firing and stick to the edges.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

lorin
    Participant

You  are brilliant!!! I followed your instructions, ground away the distortions and scrubbed them really clean. It is about 90% gone. I am going to order a finer grind bit as soon as I see a sale. Thank you so much!!!

wordana
    Participant

I don’t know about “brilliant”, but I’m glad it helped.

Dana W. :)

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx