Grey dirty looking spot

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Grey dirty looking spot

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    skierzek
    Participant

I am a fairly new fuser, and recently I’ve been working on tack fusing some projects with two layers of clear 96 COE glass with some opal flower designs on top.  In the center of several of the projects, inside the glass, not on the surface is a kind of grey dirty looking smudge.  At first I thought it might be that I glued the two clear layers together and didn’t let the glue dry long enough, but I let the last project sit for a few days and still got a spot!  I’ve been ramping up slowly at 200/hr to try to control bubbling and soaking for an hour-it seems to be helping with problems with bubbles, but am I overcooking, or what am I doing wrong?  It’s odd that it usually appears right in the center of the piece.  I’ve been using papyros kiln paper.  I’m firing in my garage and it’s been a challenge to get the temps up to 32 this winter to get my electronics working and it’s been really damp (lots of snow).  Could it have anything to do with that?  Any help you could give would be appreciated!

wordana
    Participant

Get rid of the glue.

If you really, really, need to secure pieces so they do not slide around by the time you get them into the kiln,  then use cheap, unscented hairspray. I keep some in a small bottle with an eye dropper. However, I hardly ever use glue.

Just remember that the more “contaminants” you introduce into your firings, the more likely you are to have issues.

Dana w.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx