Gluing a fused glass piece to another glass object

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Gluing a fused glass piece to another glass object

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cheryl_hb
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I have been making a particular item for the last couple of years (use Spectrum System 96 glass) and have yet to have any problems with the glass cracking at any time during or after firing.  The pieces are small (no more than 3 inches square and are comprised of only one to two layers of glass).  I am pretty sure my firing schedule is as perfect as can be (I anneal at 960 for 1 hour and then ramp down from 960 to 725 at 300).

So recently I had this great idea to take the item that I make that is now fused and attached it to a glass jar that I purchase at a local retailer.  I glue my fused glass piece onto the jar with E6000.

My problem is that I have found that weeks later, my fused glass piece that was glued onto the jar may end up cracking.

I never expected to have to worry about COE compatability since I am not fusing the two things together.  Just gluing with E6000.  But now I am thinking that is the problem.  That just temperature changes in the house are causing the fused glass piece and the glass jar to expand and constrict at different rates.

Figured I would try this forum to see if any one had any thoughts on this as to what may be happening and if I can solve the problem.  Or, is my great new idea a dud and I will just have to discontinue making the item.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Anonymous
    Inactive

No worries.  People glue glass all the time.  E6000 is especially forgiving because it is a silicone glue and remains flexible.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

WackyPup
    Participant

Wow! That’s something. I would not have thought that just gluing it to another piece of glass would cause it to fracture. I will be listening as well to the replies you get.

Liz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx