glue residue left on glass

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion glue residue left on glass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    timcharney
    Participant

I must have left glue from glass labels on the bottom of a fused glass project because it fused it into the glass and did not burn off. Do you think I can add another layer of glass underneath the project, perhaps a dimensional surface fuse to 1400 degrees to cover my mistake, or should I just cut my losses and break it into small pieces to reuse?

wordana
    Participant

Not certain I understand. Seems like glue would burn off if it is on the outside of the piece. If it’s on the inside, there wouldn’t be a way to correct it.

Dana W.

timcharney
    Participant

Yes, I was told that glue would burn off. (I thought I had cleaned the glass thoroughly, but obviously I did not!) I think I’ll try fusing a thin sheet of glass onto the bottom of the project where the glue remained. We shall see!

Stephen Richard
    Participant

You could always cold work it off by hand.  There is a book here by Paul that tells you how.

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

josthings
    Participant

I have had the same thing happen to me when I don’t pay attention.  The glue stays on and if the piece is next to the kiln shelf it discolors the glass.  I used some pixe dust and mica powders in a random desig and then added a thin piece of glass. This hid it really well.

timcharney
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. In the end I just fused a thin (2mm) piece to the bottom and it workout OK. Now I know to make certain that all of the glue is completely off! Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx