Glue for fused glass jewelry

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Glue for fused glass jewelry

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    NanCee
    Participant

I have used 527 with no problems so far.

LindsayDesigns
    Participant

Thanks Linda!  I appreciate the info!

-Lindsay

Glass Fever
    Participant

I am another big fan of Epoxy 330, it’s all I use anymore.  I have only had 1 customer bring 1 pendant back to re glue the bail.  Although she didn’t admit to it I think it may have gone through the wash.  To the person who asked about super glue, no that’s not a good option at all. 

sunspot
    Participant

I get them from Heather, Rio, Rings & Things, Thunderbird and (when I order a lot) Fire Mountain.

Cindy R.

ziads1
    Participant

I use the pinch bails with a loop of wire. Insert a loop of wire into pendant before you fire. Clean up wire and add pinch bail. Saves drilling a hole.Bev

shoozles
    Participant

I have used system 330 and it seems to work really well. I have started to cure it in a studio toatser oven and that seems to make a great bond between the glass and bail. and I agree with another member roughen both glass and bail.

Shoozles Fused Glass Goodness

Wear Your Art- My  Blog

Lyn
    Participant

I’ve tried sooo many glues!  JB weld, grey and ugly has held up for years.  I don’t feel its a quality product if there is a chance the bail will come unglued.  I’ve heard from glass jewelry artists that have 10 years experience that E6000 is good, it must be fresh.  Thw 2 part glues must be used before they skin over or get stiff or they won’t hold. Drilling holes is a very good option. I embed fine silver for pendants and earrings but I still wish there was a fail proff glue for post earrings!  good luck!  ( Always use glues with good venilation!!)

http://bp1.blogger.com/_qYM3eQ_5jn4/SBsxJQVviFI/AAAAAAAAAUs/N7F_281FYXI/s1600-h/IMG_9501.JPG

I tried to enter a link to my blog, so you could see the bails, if it dosn’t work its:   http;//lynfeudner2.blogspot.com  enter "glass" in upper left search area so you don’t have to look at the other art.

Lyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hippos Eating Aligators:

http://www.hipposeatingalligators.com/catalog.php

Outstanding quality findings designed by someone who uses them herself.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

kptarlow
    Participant

I prefer using adhesives to epoxies (less messy). However, I like BOTH E6000 & triolyse. But I’m cheap and E6000 is, too ;-) Seriously – the secrets to good adherence: absolutely rough up the surfaces and clean them well. You want to COVER the area of the bail, but only THINLY. A good way is to put a dab on the bail, squeeze it onto the cabochon. Some, but not a lot, should spill over the edges. If a lot comes out, you need to use less. The nice thing about E6000 is that once you give it plenty of time to cure (48 hours is good), then you can clean up the excess with a craft knife. With regard to waiting time – if you want a good bond, it needs to cure. Consider this  – Hextal (sp?) glass laminating glue takes over a week to cure!!

If you are using triolyse – remember – give the solvent a good 30 seconds to evaporate after application before sticking the adhesive side to the solvent side. Again – a little, but not much, should squeeze out from the bail if you are using the right amount. After curing, it cleans up nicely with alcohol. Triolyse yellows – don’t use it on transparent pieces.

Have a great day!

~ KPT

petra kaiser
    Participant

I agree, E 6000 is cheap and works in most cases. You need so little that over time we had problems with it drying out. Now we keep it always in a zip lock bag and it stays workable for much longer.

petra kaiser – http://www.kaiserlee.com

ChristineMarie
    Participant

I didn’t have much luck with E6000, so I tried Triolyse and it has been working great! 

It works best when you put the bail on the glass piece exactly where you want it and don’t move it around at all.

Christine

Click here to see my Fused Glass Art:

http://www.mastersglassart.com/products289162.html

Click here to read my Glass Art Blog:

Steve Immerman
    Participant

I use 5 min, two part, Devcon Epoxy. It is a bit brittle – so if the piece gets dropped from a height the bail may pop off. But, I’ve found it more secure than the E6000.

As for grinding the bails – make sure you don’t do this where you will be working on glass. The flecks of silver will leave mysterious brown spots on French Vanilla.

Steve

revivaljewels
    Participant
    sdholz@verizon.net
    Participant

Devcon 2-part epoxy works great if you rough up the glass back.

josthings
    Participant

I have tried just about everything. I used a two part epoxy for a long time, until I was packing for a show and things started popping off. We spent all night cleaning and glueing. I used E600, after a couplke of hours I heat set evrything for 30 minuets at 200.

I have been using it with a 95% success rate since then.  I hvae ocassionaly had a bail and cab that just don’t seem to want to be together.

We recently moved from Virginia to Hawaii, and about 80% of all the bails came off or where lose. The container they where in was the only one to have any damage, something got wet and as it was July every thing was very hot, that is the only think I can think of that mad them pop.

I cleaned, glued and cured with no problems.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx