Glass weaving

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Glass weaving

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Solonm
    Participant

I have been doing some glass weaving.   I am having a problem with cracking on the clear piece of glass I have been putting on the back of the weaving when the piece is slumped.  After weaving the pieces, I place it on piece of clear to add support to the piece and then tack fuse. I then slump in a shallow mold.    When using 1/8″ glass the clean cracked across the whole piece.  It is a very clean break which makes me think it is in the cooling process. I tried using thin clear.  I had the result of the piece coming out with a giant bubble in the clear and the weaving on top.  The bubble was about five inches across.   I haven’t seen this kind of bubble again but the splitting of the 1/8 backer glass continues.  Any advice and suggestions  regarding firing or any other related issue will be most appreciated.      Thanks. 

wordana
    Participant

I would suggest slower ramp-up/ramp-down in the slump. There is going to be a significant difference in the thickness of the clear piece and the woven piece, plus, the woven piece likely is conducting more heat because of color. These combined factors may be what is causing the crack.

Just a SWAG, Dana W.

wordana
    Participant

I would suggest slower ramp-up/ramp-down in the slump. There is going to be a significant difference in the thickness of the clear piece and the woven piece, plus, the woven piece likely is conducting more heat because of color. These combined factors may be what is causing the crack.

Just a SWAG, Dana W.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx