Glass to Metal Adhesive for Garden Art

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Glass to Metal Adhesive for Garden Art

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Carrie.L
    Participant

Hi,

I recently made a 6″ x 12″ glass platter that was fused to 1/4″ thick. I was going to slump into a mold, but decided, left flat, it would make a pretty outdoor garden art piece. After doing some research, I discovered that it is possible to glue a length (24″+) of 1/4″ or 1/2″ copper metal refrigerator tubing to the back of the glass using a 2 part epoxy type adhesive. No mention was made of a particular brand of glue. Any suggestions on the best bonding agent brand for this type of application that will hold tight and withstand uv rays and changing weather conditions? I would bring this piece inside for the winter.

Thanks!

Stephen Richard
    Participant

I have used 6mm steel and aluminium channel.  I used silicone to stick the glass to the chanel and pushed the whole into the ground.  It’s been out doors in all weathers for at least 5 and possibly 7 years.

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

Carrie.L
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion, Richard. Sounds like an easy long-lasting solution. This piece won’t be inserted into a channel, although that sounds ideal. According to the project instructions, the end section of a length of bendable 1/2″ diameter copper tubing can be flattened with a hammer and in my case, about  3″ of it will be glued directly to the back side of the glass piece. The whole piece is only going to stand about 18″ high once inserted into the ground. Hope it works as well as your garden art!

Carrie L.

flynnmic
    Participant

I have had good luck with locktite glue.. not sure if that would work for you.

Carrie.L
    Participant

I’ve read about Loctite glue, but don’t know if it will hold nearly a pound of glass on a metal rod.  Silicone is used on glass aquariums that can hold a substantial amount of water weight, so I figure it will most likely work for this piece.  If not, then I’ll give the Loctite a try. Thanks!

Carrie L.

FISHHEADMAFIA
    Participant

Bathroom adhesive , silicone. It will stand up under most conditions.

If that fails , it is fairly easy to remove with a putty knife.

Also look into a product called E6000.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx