Glass scorer and cutting oil?

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Glass scorer and cutting oil?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CrazyMosaicLady
    Participant

Does everyone put oil in their glass scorer?  I have had a problem with leakage. Do you dip the scorer in oil or use some other  substance? I had taken a mosaic class where I believe the artist used mineral spirits or paint thinner. Any thoughts?

jocko
    Participant

I have cut glass for 30 years and what I have always done is take a quart jar, pour a little karosene on a rag just enough to get it wet, place it in the jar and I keep my cutters in the jar. I’m sure any light oil wiuld also work but every few cuts I wipe my cutter on the kerosese soaked rag and keep going. Just keep the rag wet and if you knock it over there won’t be a mess. I am sure this is just one of many ways to keep your cutters lubed. I have used those expensive cutters with a resavour in the handles but they leave too much oil on the glass and they are a bit hard for me to control. I guess it is what you get use to. This has worked great for me.

Mike.

Vernelle
    Participant

I do like Mike does…..sponge in jar.  You can use sewing machine oil, 3-1one, almost any lubicant

CrazyMosaicLady
    Participant

Thank you. Sponge in a jar is a great idea. Am going to try this out!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx