Giant Bubbles

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Giant Bubbles

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    connieb
    Participant

When fusing two pieces of glass 12″ in diameter, I get one or two giant bubbles. This happens every time, but does not happen with smaller pieces. How do I adjust my firing schedule to let the air/gasses out before the edges seal?

steve worcester
    Participant

What is your current schedule and what type and shape of glass?

Steve Worcester

http://WWW.TURNINGWOOD.COM

connieb
    Participant

The shape is round. I’m trying to make a bowl. I’ve tried a 4-segment and an 8-segment firing schedule. The full fuse 4-seg. pgm is as follows:

300degrees/hr     1250 degrees      20 min.

600                     1450                  10

9999                     960                  60

100                       700                   1

I’ve tried different kinds of glass, both 96 COE and 90 COE. Firing with the 4 seg. pgm. I got two giant bubbles; with the 8-seg. I got only one. I’ve gotten the bubbles every time using large (12″) pieces, but never with smaller pieces.

Mark Hughes
    Participant

I would use a bubble squeeze by slowing down to 50 deg/hr between 1250 and 1450, this should eliminate your bubbles.

connieb
    Participant

Thank you. I’ll try this and see what happens.

bookie13
    Participant

You may want to take this reply with a grain of salt since I only work small, but I always put my bubble squeeze (50 dph)between 1100 and 1250.  After 1250, the bubbles are already captured in place.

Barry Kaiser

http://www.kaiserglass.com

connieb
    Participant

That’s a good point and worth a try. I’d better get busy and see what works. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my Giant Bubble problem.

connieb
    Participant

With the help of forum members, I was able to conquer my Giant Bubble problem. I inserted a bubble squeeze at 100 degrees with a 20 min. hold. Perfect.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Be careful going slowly between about 1325° F and 1425° F,   With most fusible glass devitrification flourishes in this range.  A bubbles squeeze can generally be accomplished below 1300° F without the risk of glass scum.  In fact, I have recently lowered my squeeze/soak temp to 1225° F with excellent results.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx