Fusing Single Layers of Glass

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Fusing Single Layers of Glass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    EclecticTreasures
    Participant

I just cut out a set of “Christmas” trees and some “packages” (square shapes) that I want to wire wrap as ornaments. I want to fire the pieces just to get smooth edges. Should I fire at slumping temperature, use a higher tack fuse temperature or ??? Any/all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Barb

Stephen Richard
    Participant

To get the rounding of edges, I go to fire polishing temperatures.  I don’t know how that fits with your temperatures.

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

wordana
    Participant

Slumping temps will not round the edges — they’ll still be fairly sharp. Take the temp to somewhere between 1350 & 1500 deg (yes, that’s a wide range) and fire for a short period of time. 5 minutes at the upper temp should do it, or a little longer at a lower temp. If you have a peep hole the watch the progress, all the better :)

Dana W.

Becki
    Participant

You’ll have to take them higher than slump temp but I don’t go any higher than 1400  to avoid distortion.

Becki

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

I did some experimenting before I got your feedback. I did a firing at 1325 for 10 minutes and it had no effect on the pieces. So I tried 1375 for 18 minutes (my “soft fuse” schedule) and they turned out great!

Your comments have verified my experiment – so thanks so much!

Barb

thomas decker
    Participant

just for what it’d worth since all kilns are different I like 1365 degreed for about 12 min.  workes well for me.

blamdimond
    Participant

I had tried 1345 with no success, but was very sucessful at 1365.  My kiln is very small, so I only held for about 5 minutes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx