Fusing schedule to just soften edges after sawing

Home Forums Glass Fusing Fusing schedule to just soften edges after sawing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mariafromcali 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mariafromcali
    Participant

Hi all,
    Fairly new to glass fusing. I would like to find a firing schedule that just softens/rounds the edges of an already fired one layer + frit glass. Here is what I have done: Started with a thin sheet of french vanilla, added frit on top, full fused. Then cut up into small shapes (squares, rectangles) for jewelry. Now I just want to fire to soften/round the edges. I tried fire polishing schedule but it doesn’t change the edges (duh, I know, still learning). I have also tried full fusing again but the glass tends to distort in shape. Is a tack fusing schedule appropriate? Or can someone recommend a custom firing schedule that isn’t as extreme as a full fuse? I am self taught and am enjoying the e-books purchased here. Many thanks,
    M

LaurieMae
    Participant

Tack fusing is the same schedule as fire polishing. look at the soft fuse (sometimes called contour fuse) schedule on this site. it is between tack and full fuse. hope this helps

mariafromcali
    Participant

Thank you LaurieMae! Sounds like just what I need. Much appreciated!

kacheless
    Participant

wo kann ich den Zeitplan ansehen?
    bin ganz neu hier

djjohnese
    Participant

The problem with a full fuse with a less than 1/4 inch piece of glass is the surface tension that glass tends toward. Like water that beads up on a polished car, glass wants to do a similar move. It seeks a 1/4 inch thickness, which is what causes the distortion you mentioned.LaurieMae is spot on with her suggestion. However, if it is still not working the way you want it to look, you may have to do some experimenting with your firing schedule. Like raising your top temp 5 to 10 degrees to see what that temp change does for you. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but if you keep good records, you will learn a lot and will have a database for future projects.

Hope this helps.

mariafromcali
    Participant

Thank you so much djjohnese! I do keep a log of each run I make. It really helps figure out what went wrong or right. I really appreciate your insight and help. I will post some pics after my next run. thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx