Fusing Noodles Only

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Fusing Noodles Only

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Datachick
    Participant

Hi there-trying to make a “fabric” weaved bowl-It took me three tries but finally got a bunch of noodles to droop appropriately so i could weave thru them. Now I have woven raw (?) noodes straight thru the drooped noodles. Now I have to figure out what I want to do next. Tack Fuse? If so, do I use a standard firing schedule or can it go faster because it’s just noodles? I want it to remain looking like it is but be tacked together, them I’m going to slump it into a wavy-bowl shape.

Also, I used standard firing schedules for 1) slump then 2) tack fuse then 3) full fuse for my first step. Finally the heat of a full fuse made the noodles droop like I wanted, but I’m guessing I don’t have to follow a standard schedule that has long ramp and hold times since I’m just trying to make noodles bend?

http://gingerphotos.smugmug.com/Art/Art/i-MmjJVtx/0/M/Weave-M.jpg

crackedglassman
    Participant

Hi I think you could go faster on the ramp tempreture, because the glass is less dense and less prone to thermale shock. I would also check on the kiln sooner, to see that you get the slump results you want. I hope this helps, and I would love to see the finished results. Thanks.

Datachick
    Participant

All done! Can’t believe it came out good.

I used the standard firing schedule for Tack Fusing 1/4″ glass, figured it wouldn’t hurt, just takes longer and uses more electricity. I have to have this done in a few days and couldn’t risk messing it up, so I’m done with it. Now that I have some experience I can mess around with firing schedules. I think because I ended up using a higher temperature to make the noodles droop, they also distorted, which is fine because they are rounder and look more like “yarn”, but anyhow now I know that and will play around to make them distort more or less as I wish. Once I got it tack-fused, the vertical/straight ends broke off pretty easily since they are hanging out there in mid-air, so I nipped them all back toward the body of the thing. Was playing around with the idea of tack-fusing the entire thing to a piece of clear (maybe thin clear or even frit?) to help with how fragile it is, but for now I will leave it alone and see how it goes. I have to wrap it and take to Denver on an airplane, I think I will double-box it and hold it on my lap the whole way :) If anyone out there does these weaves and you have any advice re: tacking to clear to bulk it up or not, please let me know.

Here’s the finished product (2nd and 3rd pictures):

http://gingerphotos.smugmug.com/Art/Art/25225453_QdHgFv

DZap
    Participant

Checked out the pictures and absolutely love it!

Debra

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx