Fusing glass bottles

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Fusing glass bottles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sandie
    Participant

I have had a fascination with fusing wine, beer, soda bottles for some time now.  I continue to struggle to get the firing schedule right to fuse the rings so they become round and smooth rings.  I have seen them a lot on websites, but have not found anyone who is willing to share the firing process or schedule. I was wondering if anyone here knows what I am referring to and can offer any help. I have cut the necks of wine bottles into rings, did a full fuse and the rings drooped but didn’t create the smooth rings I was hoping for.  Any ideas?

wordana
    Participant

Others have highly recommended this book. I haven’t read it (not really into glass bottles):

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Bottle-Book-Ever-Boyce/dp/0982584725

Other than that, it’s all about experimentation and keeping good records of  your firing schedules and results. If they are not as rounded as you would like, try hotter or longer (or both).

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

sandie
    Participant

Thank you for the book recommendation.  I will look into it. I am also going to try it at the same time I do a screen melt and see what happens. I am determined to figure this one out. I did see instructions on Delphi but it is instructions for fusing using a microwave. Not what I am looking for.

DZap
    Participant

This is a bit off your subject of trying to achieve the perfect ring from a bottle, but I was wondering if you were having devit issues at all.  What/how do you get your bottles clean?  I get a pretty good supply from the local bar, but they can be, ummm, let’s just say, pretty yucky.  I am having a lot of devit trouble with Coronas and Dos Equis and pretty much every wine bottle I touch.  Any help would be appreciated.

Debra

crackedglassman
    Participant

Hi bottles are unpredictable, some devit and some don’t. My best suggestion is to put some devit solution on when firing them.

DZap
    Participant

Sandie, don’t know if you have had a chance to check out Boyce’s bottle book, but I looked through my copy and didn’t see anything about getting the rings of the bottles rounded nicely.  Had a thought though (and bear with me as I am new to this)-In the tutorial on this site for “fused glass puddles”, there is a step where you shouldn’t fuse using paper but should instead fuse directly onto a kiln-washed shelf as the paper prevents the cabachons from “rounding”.  Do you think this might be a factor for what you are trying?

Debra

DZap
    Participant

surfaces that are to be used to hold food items?  I was it was not so haven’t ever tried that solution but the more I learn, the more I realize that there is a lot of misinformation out there too.

<disregard – while looking for an answer to Sandie’s question, found the answer to mine.  :) >

Debra

sandie
    Participant

Debra thank you so much for the time you have taken on this subject.  I actually have tried fusing on paper as well as directly on the shelf with basically the same results. I haven’t gotten a chance to try it while I do a screen melt so I don’t know if the bottle glass needs to fire that high for that long in order to get it to respond. This is just so frustrating be cause I see the rIngs in a lot of places but I can’t get anyone to share the firing schedule.

wordana
    Participant

If you are “determined to figure this one out”, then get figuring! As I mentioned, a lot of fusing is about experimentation. I could give you a firing schedule that works in my kiln and the bottles I normally use, that would not work in your kiln with the glass you are using.(that is, if I fused bottles, which I don’t)

When I “google” fused glass bottle firing schedule, I come across many hits with firing schedules on how to fuse recycled glass (including links to posts on this forum). So… do a little googling and do some experimentation (keeping a firing log with good notes on the results) and you will “figure out” what works best in your kiln. Watch the glass while it is firing. If the bottles are not fired to your liking, increase the heat, increase the time… or both!

Dana W.

kathy111561
    Participant

I have had some success using a tack fuse rather than a full fuse to round the edges of the rings.

wordana
    Participant

I started thinking about this… You don’t elaborate, but if you mean that you are not getting the rings rounded on both sides, well, you’ll never get them rounded that way when firing on a shelf. You’ll need a mold for that. Glass on a flat shelf = flat ring on that side.

Dana W.

sandie
    Participant

Thank you everyone who has offered up suggestions.  I will say that I got the Boyce book and it really doesn’t help me with what I am looking for.
    To answer the question about do I want the rings totally rounded – no, I understand that they will be flat on one side.  I am trying to create the donuts from the necks of the glass bottles which you see tons of on the internet.  I just can’t seem to get mine to look like what I have found.  I am referring to the glass donut rings you mostly see used in jewelry.  I know they mass produce them so I have a hard time thinking they are grinding each one. I understand that grinding is needed, but I would like to think not for every single ring.
    The suggestion using the rock polishing machine is great and I have seen great results from others that also use that to clean up their bottle glass rings.
    I guess this is frustrating me because it seems I find so many people doing it, I feel like I must be complicating the process for myself.  Again, I am so grateful for this forum and all the suggestions you have shared.  I will keep at it, I just love the look of the rings and would really love to make it work.
    I have included a link to one of the many I have found on the internet:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/80655459/12-golden-glass-bottle-rings?ref=sr_gallery_8&ga_includes%5B%5D=tags&ga_search_query=glass+bottle+rings&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Sandie

wordana
    Participant

What is the “height” that you are cutting the rings? Perhaps you are slicing them too thinly,so there’s not enough glass to round up.

Dana W.

cris
    Participant

I would think that as well…. adding more height to your cut or another layer with a different size diameter so that the top ring will over lap and ‘fall’ over the edge to round it.

marV
    Participant

I found a site  entitled Glass with a Past on the internet. It has fusing schedules for bottles and window glass as well as other tips for using this glass.  I have several colored wine bottles that I have been saving.  Haven’t tried to work wilth them yet but will try.  http://glasswithapast.com/bottle-glass-and-kiln-carving/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx