Fusing and slumping schedule

Home Forums FusedGlass.Org Website Help Forum Help Fusing and slumping schedule

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mmtreska
    Participant

After incorporating large pot melt with other glass to make art piece or dish am finding that my firing schedule is not reliable.  What would you recommend for firing and slumping 96 pot melt or combing with bottom layer of glass? The problem is that there are different thickness of glass and a prefired piece, all adding to the mix….how slow and how low would you recommend so that new layer below and around pot melt and/ or combing doesn’t,t crack?

thanks, Meredith

Anonymous
    Inactive

It sounds like you are describing a three layer full fuse since most pot melts are two layers and you are adding a third.

If that is correct, the three layer full fuse schedule here:

https://fusedglass.org/tools/firing_schedules

should do the trick.  If you have a shallow kiln, you may want to slow down the initial heating to avoid thermal shocking the pot melt.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

mmtreska
    Participant

Well, yes and no. What I do is place the pot melt on a sheet of glass larger than the original melt and then layer around the melt…I have three layers in some places and two in others.  The slower schedule I’ve used in the past works about 50% of the time and these are fabulous.  Unfortunately, half the time they crack sometime down the road.  It is the unevenness of the layers of glass that seems to be the problem and I wondered whether you knew of a way to counteract that.  Ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.

Meredith

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx